The Higginsville Depot was built in 1889. Charles Aversman, a former resident, purchased and authentically restored this last depot in Lafayette County. His application to place it on the National Register of Historic Places was granted in 1987.
After Mr. Aversman’s untimely death, the Depot was purchased by the Harvey J. Higgins Historical Society and the landmark is now used to house the collections of this organization. An added attraction is the Illinois Central Railroad Caboose, parked across the street from the depot. During the holiday season, the depot is outlined in lights, making it a focal point of historical interest for the entire community.